Please note: this Brain and Music Blog has moved! Our new address is www.HealingMusicEnterprises.com/brain_blog See you there!

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Brains, Bicycles, and Brooks Hill


How does the brain think up music? Why do certain songs just pop into your mind at especially opportune times? Earlier today I was riding my shiny new red bike and I was thinking about a time about 20 years ago when I was doing a bike ride with the local bike club. Somehow I had missed the information that this ride would include a very, very steep hill, nick-named "The Wall." I always hated to get off my bike and walk it up a hill and so I put it in the lowest "granny gear" and stood up to pedal up the steep, steep hill. As I slowed down to a crawl a song popped into my head and I suddenly found myself pedalled in precise rhythm to "one, little two little three little indians..." Over and over I sang this song (internally) as I made my way up this hill. It was amazing how this seemed to give me the rhythm and the purpose and the distraction that I needed. Much sooner than I expected I was at the top of the hill, ego and reputation intact. Amazing!

No comments: